Schlossbrücke, Berlin The Bridge Situated at the eastern end of the Unter den Linden, the Palace Bridge was designed by Berlin’s foremost architect of the early 19th century, Karl Friedrich Schinkel. Schinkel was responsible for a number of other important buildings and landmarks of the time, including the city’s Altes Museum, the Neue Wache, and the Schauspielhaus, all designed in the neo-classical style. Constructed over a western branch of the Spree River, in 1824 the Schlossbrucke replaced a wooden structure once known as “The Bridge of Dogs” because hunters gathered there with their animals before setting out on a hunt. A Work of Art While the Palace Bridge itself is certainly attractive, it is the artwork that accompanies the bridge that receives the most attention. Atop the supporting pillars of the bridge are eight groups of figures fashioned from white Carrara marble, all sculpted between the years 1845-57. Eight different sculptors were chosen to create the masterpieces, in accordance with designs suggested by Schinkel himself. They show the development of a hero from early youth to manhood, and then to death on the battlefield and the taking of his body to Olympus. The statues include: (on the right side as you travel towards Lustgarten) 1) Nike instructs the boy in heroic history (Emil Wolff, 1847); 2) Pallas Athene teaches the boy the art of spear-throwing (Hermann Schievelbein, 1853); 3) Athene arms the warrior for his first battle (Heinrich Möller, 1846-50); 4) Nike crowns the warrior (Friedrich Drake, 1857). On the opposite side, you’ll find: 5) the goddess Nike supporting a wounded warrior (Ludwig Wichmann, pre-1857); 6) Pallas leads the warrior in battle (Albert Wolff, 1853); 7) attacking the enemy, protected by Pallas at his side (Gustav Bläser, 1854); 8) Iris, carrying the fallen hero to Mount Olympus (August Wredow, 1841-57). During the Second World War the statues has been dismantled and stored in a depot located in what became West Berlin.turkeyarena.com The bridge itself was located in East Berlin and it wasn't until 1981 before the statues were handed over in a deal between East and West. A renovation project was undertaken and by 1984, repairs were complete and the figures were returned to their rightful places.