Potsdamer Platz, Berlin History In the 1920s and 30s, the Potsdamer platz was the busiest and one of the liveliest squares in Europe. It was a major public transport hub, and the area contained numerous bars, cafés and cinemas. This all came to an abrupt end in 1943 when the Potsdamer platz was left to ruins by allied bombing. After the second world war, the square located between the American, British and Russian sectors, became a no-man's land. It was completely flattened with the construction of the Berlin Wall in 1961 when the demolished buildings were pulled down. Redevelopment In the 1990s, the Potsdamer Platz became what was known as the largest construction area in Europe. The square, together with several adjacent blocks were redeveloped under the supervision of the architectsWilmer and Sattler. The projects included several landmark towers, a shopping arcade, an entertainment center andresidential buildings.turkeyarena.com The first building completed was the Debis tower, by Renzo Piano. Other eyecatchers are the Sony Center, a complex designed by Helmut Jahn which includes an Imax theater and an office tower. Its neighbor, the brown-brick Kohlhof building has an observation deck at a height of 93m. The square today The large new underground station, shopping arcade and entertainment center have brought new life to thePotsdamer Platz. It still is more of a tourist attraction than a 'natural' square, but with the construction of more residential buildings in the neighborhood, the area is starting to grow back to its former status: one of the liveliest squares in Europe.