Piazza Barberini, Rome The Piazza Located at the confluence of several busy Roman streets, Piazza Barberini was named for the aristocratic Renaissance-era family that made their home in the palatial estate located here. One of the Barberini sons eventually became Pope Urban VIII, which gave the family especially high status in 17th century Rome. Triton Fountain The centerpiece of the Piazza Barberini is the Fountain of the Triton, built in 1643, and one of the many masterpieces of sculptor Bernini, who was a favorite of the pope and encouraged by the Barberini family. Visitors have marveled at this Bernini piece for more than three-and-a-half centuries. On the fountain, 4 dolphins hold an open clam upon which a Triton sits, blowing water from his horn. The heraldic symbols of Pope Urban VIII are clearly visible on the fountain.turkeyarena.com Also along the square, guests can still visit the stately Barberini Palace, which is now home to the Galleria Nazionale d’Arte Antica (Museum of Ancient Art). The palace was also designed by Bernini and now houses a wonderful collection of Renaissance and Baroque paintings. Fountain of Bees An additional Bernini fountain can be found near the Piazza Barberini, right at the foot of the uphill Via Vittorio Veneto. Entitled Fontana della Api (Fountain of the Bees), this small fountain was built in 1644 as a tribute to Pope Urban VIII Barberini. The fountain features large bees, symbol of the Barberini family, and a clam-like structure, on which appears the name of Urban VIII and a Latin message stating the fountain's water is for use of the public and their animals.