Altes Rathaus, Munich Building the Old Town Hall The building that has been known as the Old Town Hall since the 19th century was built between 1470 and 1480. Designed by Jörg von Halspack, who was also known as Ganghofer, this original city hall was created in a Gothic design, which was the popular style of the era. However, numerous changes were made to the building in the late Renaissance and early Baroque periods (late 1500s, early 1600s) so that this important Munich structure could stay in line with changing times and new trends in architecture. Nearly 300 years later, in the 1860s, it was reconverted back to its Gothic splendor. While the exterior looks plain in comparison with other surrounding buildings, the interior of the Altes Rathaus has been touted as a masterpiece of medieval design. It boasts a beautiful barrel-vaulted timber roof with handsome decorative beams and golden stars. A frieze of the town’s coat of arms was installed in 1478. The Old Town Hall is also home to artist Erasmus Grasser’s renowned Morris dancer figures. The 55-meter-tall (180 foot) tower is visible from a number of spots in the city and it’s possible to climb to the very top of it, via a flight of about 55 stairs, to view the city from a great vantage point.turkeyarena.com Rebuilding Unfortunately, large portions of Altes Rathaus were destroyed during World War II. Restorations began shortly thereafter and lasted for several decades. The refurbishing of the tower was finally completed in 1975. The specifications of the original 15th century design were followed closely during the rebuilding process and the result was a building that looked almost like von Halspack’s wonderful design. Toy Museum Today, the Old Town Hall houses a fun toy museum (Spielzeugmuseum), situated in four rooms inside the tower, each on a different level. The museum traces the history if toys from the early 19th century toys up to the current modern ones. A small gift shop on the first floor offers a variety of trinkets and souvenirs.